From center going clockwise: Carly Patterson and her mother, Natalie Patterson, Olympic Coach – Evgeny Marchenko, Bela Karolyi, Pamela Ryan.
Therapeutic Sports Massage & Yoga
Pamela Ryan, LMT RYT
After living in Texas 27 years, I decided to move back home to Lafayette in 2016. I served 8 years as in-house massage therapist at WOGA, during which time two of my clients earned Olympic gold in women’s gymnastics: Carly Patterson (Athens 2004) and Nastia Liukin (Beijing 2008). Retired linebacker Bradie James of the Dallas Cowboys hired me as his massage therapist/yoga instructor in 2006, a position I held until his retirement in 2014. As Defensive Captain, Bradie introduced Align Yoga to his teammates. And, perhaps most important, a considerable number of my clients have earned scholarships to universities from coast to coast in gymnastics, dance, football, cheer, music…too many disciplines to count.
- Studied English at University of Houston
- Licensed massage therapist since 1997
- Registered Yoga Instructor since 2006
- Co-Founder, Board Member of Yoga Bridge
- 1997 Castleman School of Massage, Lewisville, TX: Certified in Swedish and Sports Massage. Subsequently certified in Neuromuscular, Advanced Thai, and Deep Tissue massage. Other modalities studied include Reflexology, Shiatsu, Manual Lymphatic Drainage and Reiki
- 2006 Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga Teacher, 200-E: Vinyasa Yoga
- 2011-12 Sivananda Vedanta, Kerala, India: Hatha Yoga
- BKS Iyengar-Dallas/Audubon Yoga-NOLA: In Training
- Inner Image Day Spa, Plano, TX 1997-2000
- World Olympic Gymnastics Academy (WOGA), Plano, TX 2000-2008
- Dallas Cowboys 2006-2014
- Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs, CO Summer 2009
- Co-Founded Yoga Bridge 2011
- Private Practice: 2014 to present
Sport massage coupled with Align Yoga (described by Bradie as “prehab”) helps to rebalance the musculoskeletal systems. Any repetitive-motion activity can lead to an imbalance such as tightened/shortened muscles, skeletal misalignments and overstimulation of the “fight or flight” response. Successful performance artists and athletes are balanced artists and athletes.
Pamela Ryan & Bradie James
Pamela Ryan & Nastia Liukin
In 2011, I co-founded Yoga Bridge in Denton County, Texas. Yoga Bridge is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization offering free and low cost specialized yoga classes to cancer patients and survivors. Yoga Bridge has partnered with Foundation 56, Texas Oncology, Lewisville Medical Center and Denton Regional Medical Center. In addition to funding classes, Yoga Bridge provides specialized training for yoga instructors working with those affected by cancer diagnosis and treatment.
Sport Massage: A combination of sport, deep tissue, neuromuscular and Thai massage techniques. The purpose is to accelerate recovery for the competitive athlete. Can be performed fully clothed, usually in 30-minute increments following training sessions.
Therapeutic Massage: Traditional massage format combining any number of modalities from my training depending on each individual’s needs. Draping and lotions employed and sessions usually run 60-90 minutes.
Align Yoga: This practice focuses on anatomy and precise alignment of each posture or asana. Postures are held longer and are designed to support proper realignment of the musculoskeletal system, thereby reducing the likelihood of injury resulting from postural distortions. Anyone can practice Align Yoga. Props and alternative or modified postures are implemented in order to accommodate each student’s needs
Tuesday (Lvl. 1)
Wednesday (Lvl. 1-2)
Thursday (Lvl. 1)
7:00 – 8:30am
9:00 – 10:30am
7:00 – 8:30am